Home| FAQ Search:Advanced|Person|Company| Type|Class Login
Quick search:
Patent number:
Patent Date:
first    back  next  last
GB Patent: GB-181,503,887
Improvements in the construction of locomotive engines
George Stephenson - Kellingworth, county Northumberland, England
Ralph Dodds - Kellingworth, county Northumberland, England

USPTO Classifications:

Tool Categories:
transportation machines : railroads : railroad locomotives


Not known to have been produced


Patent Dates:
Granted: Feb. 18, 1815

Patent Pictures:
Report data errors or omissions
Wikipedia page on George Stephenson
Stephenson was appointed engine-wright of the Killingworth Colliery in 1812. His early creations used fixed engines to haul coal-carts, but by 1814 he built a locomotive with on-board engine, "Blücher". At the time, many believed that a locomotive engine powering the wheels was impractical because of the lack of friction between wheels and track. According to a report in the 1814 Annals of Philosophy, Blücher moved at 3 m.p.h. and pulled 14 wagons each carrying two tons of coal. Stephenson then designed a series of improvements, including a ball-and-socket joint between the engine and the driven wheels. The other two wheels of the four-wheel locomotive were connected by chain drive to the driven wheels. In 1815 Stephenson, with overseer Ralph Dodds, obtained this patent and then built a new locomotive based on the patent design. Subsequent improvements can be found in the 1816 patent GB-181,600,000.

Copyright © 2002-2019 - DATAMP